Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A little to closer to cutting out the walking

Well today...I did what every geeky auditor would do...I plugged the data I had on my running into an excel spreadsheet and did some calculations and analysis.  When I get a little more data maybe I will do an improvement curve to set the goal for where I should be going....KIDDING!!  But in looking at the data I noticed a few things....first my first run...ok serious...lets be real...the only running I did then was from garage door to the sidewalk...so my first walk was two miles and took me forty minutes....tonight I did 3.72 miles in 58:54, so I went from a 20 minute mile to a 15:50 mile....which is about my weekly average for a mile.  So it is obvious I am improving.  Now there is a portion of the data where I did not record my time, this must have been when I thought I was crazy for doing this.  Which is obvious because now instead of nice round whole minutes I record the seconds, setup an excel spreadsheet and use Nike plus....so yeah I am crazy.  I like Nike plus....but it is a little more generous with the distance I go, but I have mapped out routes so I am able to calculate the real deal!

In the past week I have found two great new running spots the country and more of  the bike path. First, the country between corn fields and bean fields, it was so peaceful out there...It made me think back to when we praying for it to stop raining so the farmers could plant the fields and now we the farmers are preparing for a harvest....the difference is somewhat characteristic in my life.  To think where I was back in May to now....Wow what a difference.  For the first time since I have moved back, I can say I am truly happy here.  Now that does not mean I will stay, that is dependent on what life brings.  But I am not miserable like I was before. Two things have changed....one is I do more for my parents now, which is very rewarding and hard all at the same time and I do this running thing.  I guess it is true what the say running brings positive endorphins. I do believe I have experienced a few cases of a runners high...along with the really why am I doing this? But overall I have to say above anything I have experienced or put forth to do since I have been home, this is the best.  Better than getting an advanced degree, better than any relationship, better than going out and partying, better playing xbox....because this is going to make all those things better as life goes on.  Ok well maybe not the advanced degree...but it puts me in better health and aids in me having a clearer mind to focus better at work. 

This week in running has been awesome too because I ran a 5k and took about 30 seconds off my 5k time from the previous week.  In addition, at this 5k I had the support of my sister-in-law and niece.  They crossed the finish line before me and cheered me on at the end, which probably was the reason I beat my time!! Thanks Gwen&Grace!! And also my wonderful high school friend and now neighbor...she goes with me out the the park.....now with the foot she has on me height wise....we run at our own pace and meet up at the end.  But it awesome to have someone to tell your little accomplishments to! Thanks Erin! Like to today I was telling here the little stuff that excites me....like I can now stand on one foot and stretch without having to hold on to the car....you must understand this is a little milestone for a pleasantly plump girl like myself.

Over the next week I have another 5k and will be meeting up with the running group I joined for the first time.  Oh and I always will have another weight watchers meeting....which I am beginning to think that plan is pointless for me because it has only been since I have been running about 20 miles a week that I have been able to lose weight...and a little bit at that...shedding inches at a nice pace but not lbs....so I am thinking it is time to take my cash for weight watchers and invest that in running!! I guess you could say I am transiting out of the weight loss group into the lean mean and fit group....boy to have some catching up to do!! I have to say the running will benefit much more....but we shall see...I do like some of things about weight watchers...but the focus is only weight...that is the only thing that is rewarded....which I know is the point, which makes me think maybe it is just not for me.

Peace out!!

No comments: